Stainless steel plates are one of the most versatile building materials. Different applications have different requirements in terms of strength and finish. To cater to these needs, stainless steel plate suppliers in South Africa offer various finishes for the plates.
Regardless of the application, choosing the correct finish for stainless steel plates are essential. For projects that are focused on the design, an attractive finish will be the perfect choice to enhance its aesthetics. It is necessary to specify the finish precisely to your stainless steel plate supplier in South Africa.
Different Kinds of Finishes
There are three main kinds of finishes that are widely used and suitable for various applications. These are:
- Matte Finish – The matte finish is the one where stainless steel plate is left as it came out of the mill, without any further processing. Plates with a matte finish are dull and not suitable for applications where appearance is of importance. Matte finish is an ideal choice for applications where appearance is not quite important and further finishing of the plate is intended. The matte stainless steel finish is produced by cold rolling it, producing a smooth surface. The common applications of matte finish are found in:
- Equipment used in Paper Mills
- Equipment used in Chemical Plants
- Pharmaceutical Equipment
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry Equipment
- Sewage Equipment
- Brushed Finish – Brushed finishes vary greatly from supplier to supplier and even in different batches. Variations in brushed finishes arise due to the difference in manufacturing conditions like the wearing out of the abrasive belts used to apply this finish. You should order a small sample to ensure that you are happy with the end result. The brushed finish lends a decorative aesthetic to the stainless steel plate with a fine pattern of parallel lines. The brushed decorative finish does not make the plate very shiny and reflective, making it suitable for use on large buildings. Some common applications of brushed finish are:
- Home appliances
- Watches and Jewellery
- Air Conditioners
- Automotive Design
- Water Heaters
- Mirrored Finish – Mirror finishes are created by polishing stainless steel, creating a highly reflective surface. The polishing of the surface enhances the appearance and the feel of the plate, making it easier to clean. Mirror finishes mask the welding after-effects and signs of surface damage. This finish is also instrumental in enhancing the resistance to corrosion. Some common applications of the mirrored finish include:
- Ornamental Trim
- Clean Room Applications
- Wall Panels
- Column Covers
These are the three main kinds of stainless steel finishes that are widely used in many applications. Stainless steel plate suppliers in South Africa offer these finishes for not only plates but also for other materials like bars, tubes, sheets, valves etc.